Healthy buckwheat pancakes
Jump to recipe
A fluffy protein rich, gluten free pancake made with buckwheat flour and chia seeds soaked overnight in milk kefir.
Despite the name, buckwheat flour is wheat and gluten free.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk kefir
- 1/2 tsp glucommanan powder
- 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp jaggery sugar
- Another 1/4 cup milk kefir to dilute the batter the following morning after soaking
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp. butter for cooking
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, cover and soak overnight on your counter top.
- The following morning the pancake mixture will have thickened. Dilute to a batter consistency (thick but pourable) with approximately 1/4 cup milk kefir and stir. You can add a tbsp. at a time until you feel you have the right consistency.
- Whisk in the baking soda.
- Heat up a frying pan on a medium heat and melt the butter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and fry on the one side until small holes appear in the pancake and it is stiff enough to turn over without breaking.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancake over and cook on the other side until lightly browned and the pancake has cooked through.
- You can use coconut oil instead of butter if you prefer your pancakes to have a crispier texture on the outside.
- Serving suggestion: Butter and honey or sliced strawberries and bananas
What is milk kefir?
Find out where to buy milk kefir
Make your own milk kefir